The Cape Town Cycle Tour (Cape Argus)
The Cape Town Cycle Tour is an annual cycle race hosted in Cape Town, South Africa, usually 109 km (68 mi) long. It is the first event outside Europe to be included in the Union Cycliste Internationale’s Golden Bike Series.
South Africa hosts some of the largest, by number of entrants, sporting events in the world with three being the largest of their type. The Cape Town Cycle Tour, with as many as 35 000 cyclists taking part, is the world’s largest individually timed cycle race. The other two are the world’s largest ultra-marathon running event, the Comrades Marathon, and the world’s largest open water swim, the Midmar Mile.
It is traditionally staged on the second Sunday of March and has enjoyed well known competitors such as Miguel Indurain, Jan Ulrich and Lance Armstrong.
In recent years the race has usually followed a scenic 109 km (68 mi) circular route from Cape Town down the Cape Peninsula and back. The start is in Hertzog Boulevard in the city centre, at Cape Town’s main Civic Centre. It then follows a short section of the N2 called Nelson Mandela Boulevard, then the M3 to Muizenberg, and then Main Road along the False Bay coast to Simon’s Town and Smitswinkel Bay. The route then crosses the peninsula in a westerly direction, past the entrance to Cape of Good Hope section of the Table Mountain National Park (within which Cape Point is situated). It then heads north along the Atlantic coast through Scarborough, Kommetjie, Noordhoek, Chapmans Peak, Hout Bay over Suikerbossie hill to Camps Bay and ends next to the Cape Town Stadium in Green Point.
With the Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024 scheduled to take place on 10th March, you may think that you’ve got forever and a day to sort out a rental bike, but the truth is, if you want to rent a bike for the Cape Argus (as the event was previously known) you need to do it sooner rather than later.
Bike rentals are widely available in Cape Town, but with over 35,000 cyclists descending on the Mother City for the iconic Cape Town Cycle Tour Race, it is no surprise that they sell-out like hot cakes. If you intend to enter the race don’t wait too long!
All bikes at BicycleRentals.co.za rentals are full carbon (most with disc brakes) and well maintained. At BicycleRentals we have a wide variety of road bikes:15 full carbon bikes (size 50 – size 60).
Please note there is a minimum 7 day rental period for the CTCT – ie minimum 7 consecutive days.
A 100% (non-refundable) payment is required within 48 hours of confirmation of provisional booking.
Prices per week (7 days), longer rentals possible
- Trek Emonda ALR5 Disc R6300, size 58 (105 group set)
- Trek Emonda ALR5 Disc R6300, size 60 (105 group set)
- Trek Emonda SL5 Disc , size 50 R7000 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL5 Disc, size 56 R7000
- Trek Emonda SL5 Disc, size 58 R7000 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL6 Disc R7700, size 52 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL6 Disc R7700, size 54 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL6 Disc R7700, size 56 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL6 Disc R7700, size 60
- Trek Madone Speed Disc R8750 (Ultegra group set) (Sold out)
- Specialized Amira R4550 (Sram Red group set)
- Trek Madone 9.5 R7000 (Sold out)
- Trek Damone project one R7000 (Sold out)
- Trek Emonda SL6 Pro R7000 (sold out)
- Trek Emonda Sl5 size 60 R6300
Only confirmed bookings will be allocated bikes.